Hi folks! It’s been another hot minute, hasn’t it? The last two weeks seem like they’ve been super busy, and, as we speak, I’m just trying to power through Friday so I can get to a weekend with, mercifully, not much on the schedule. Today I wanted to check in with my Internet family so here’s a bunch of random stuff that’s been filling up my last two weeks!
- So I ran another half marathon last weekend! Yes, I think we might have a race problem I decided not to do a full blown race recap, but I do have a few thoughts. First off, the race in question was the Ft. Worth Cowtown Half-Marathon which, some of you may remember, was my very first half-marathon two years ago. It was a gratifying experience to return to the Cowtown with 15 additional half-marathons under my belt, and, since I am a big fan of poetic justice, I was so hoping that it would be the race I finally break the sub-2 barrier. However, life doesn’t work out as neatly as things do in books and movies, and it wasn’t to be. We crossed the finish at 2:05:51 which is about twenty seconds slower than we did Ft. Smith two weeks before, and the Cowtown is a MUCH easier course. I felt like I was running on dead legs the entire way, and I decided that I’m putting the kibash on running these half-marathons so close together. Oddly, enough I wasn’t overly disappointed. When it became apparent that I wasn’t going to break the sub-2, I decided that I simply haven’t earned it yet. It’s time to put in some more training and really work on this goal as opposed to just saying I want to do it and hoping it happens. And, honestly, I was and am just ready for a break. If you’re keeping track, that’s 15 half marathons in the last 14 months. That’s a lot for someone who is not a natural runner, and a little break is definitely in order. Dad and I have talked about doing one next month, but I don’t think it’s going to work out with our schedules so it will probably be June. That sounds a-ok to me!
2. Max has been dealing with some stomach issues for the last two weeks which have not been fun. You can imagine what stomach issues entail, and, let’s just say, our garage has something of an odor right now. I’ve been very worried, but, after consulting with our vet, it appears that the poor guy has an ulcer coupled with a sensitive stomach and/or anxiety. The good news is none of that appears to be serious, and we should be able to control it with diet or possibly medication when he has flare ups. This doggy mama is breathing a little easier over here.
3. This week is Read Across America week (otherwise known as Dr. Seuss’s birthday) so we’ve had lots of celebrating going on. At one point or another I’ve had silly socks on my feet, bunny ears on my head, and been Hermione Granger come to life. It has been lots of fun, but it’s always one of my busiest weeks of the year so I’m glad to see it come to an end.
4. One more week until SPRING BREAK! That is all.
5. A lot of clearing and moving dirt around has been going on at our new property, and we are days away from a pad being poured. Things are getting exciting and stressful over here, and I’m sure there’s more of all of it coming our way. Stay tuned.
6. Remember how one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to take up only one new hobby this year? I think I’m on my way to breaking that resolution. I have collected all the necessary materials for one new hobby, and I’m hoping to give it a go this weekend. Now it remains to be seen whether I will be sufficiently good enough at it to keep going, but I’m really excited about it! I can’t let you in on it yet because it’s going to be a surprise, but I’ll document it thoroughly so I can share after the fact. Oddly enough, I think I may be starting my other new hobby today! There’s been talk in our little group of friends for sometime about rock climbing, and I think we’re finally going to make it happen this afternoon. I’m so pumped for this because I think it will fit in nicely with all my other outdoor pursuits. Plus, it’s a great workout!
7. So, despite my break, I’m not completely taking off racing. I’m actually running a 5K both tomorrow and next Saturday. I’ve not run all week (on purpose) so I’m going to use tomorrow as a “stretch my legs”, easy kind of run. Definitely not looking or expecting to break any PRs. It’s here in town, and I get to run it for free through a local program so why not? Next weekend, John and I are going back to my hometown to visit and take in one of our musicals, and that trip just happened to coincide with the St. Paddy’s Day 5K I did there last year. It was such a nice experience to run in my hometown so I definitely wanted to do it again.
8. Alright, this is turning into an opus so I’ll end it here. I’ll be back next week with, hopefully, a rock climbing recap!