Some Things To Brag About

Welcome to Monday, friends!  I took a hiatus from technology this weekend, and I’m feeling oh so glad to be back.  The countdown is officially on.  Only two weeks until Christmas!  John and I are heading out of town this coming weekend to have an early celebration with one set of my grandparents.  Then it’s back to work for three days before I get my Christmas Break on.  You know that’s the real countdown I have going on in my head ;) .

My weekend was jam packed.  We headed to Fort Smith Friday night to take in the new James Bond flick.  Before the show, we made a quick stop at Target.  Remember the popcorn I got in my Foodie Pen Pal box last month?  My pen pal, Elyse, was nice to enough to let me know that she thought it was sold at Target.  John and I were more than a little excited at this prospect, but, sadly, this is what we found.

IMG_0361

Both of us stared at it in sadness and disbelief.  You will noticed that there was a white chocolate and peppermint option on the right.  We decided to pass on that since I’m not that big a fan of peppermint.  However, if you are, I’m sure this is just as yummy!  Although I was disappointed, I haven’t lost hope.  We’ll be passing a Whole Foods on our trip this weekend, and I’m determined to snag a bag of popcorn along with several other goodies!

I did accomplish one important thing on our date night.

IMG_0363

One December goal done!   I had a gingerbread latte.  Did you guys know a small costs $4?!  No, I don’t live under a rock.  I know Starbucks is expensive, but I was still a wee bit shocked.  The verdict?  It was pretty good, but I definitely won’t be making it a habit.  I’ll stick with hot tea!

Once Saturday rolled around, it was time to get the holiday started with our very first Christmas party.  Earlier this year, John joined our local fire department, and Saturday night we attended their annual holiday party.  John was required to put on official dress for the occasion.

IMG_0366

Doesn’t he clean up nice?

I’ll have to admit, it wasn’t a party I was looking forward to because there’s some hazing for the “rookie” that goes on, but it all turned out fine.  I had to bring a dessert so this magnificent thing made another appearance.

IMG_0346

Please make this to bring to any holiday gatherings you’re attending.  I promise you’ll make a ton of new friends.

The pie was delicious, but my favorite part of the party was getting to hang out with one of my favorite girls.

fireparty

Everyone in our family is always amazed by how much our niece looks like John!

In addition to my cute fireman, I have one other person to brag on today.

Dadmarathon

Yesterday, my dad ran the Dallas Marathon.  It’s his second marathon, and he PR’ed with a 4:29.  He’s a rock star!

FFM

It’s Monday again so it’s time for Friend Makin’ Mondays!  The questions this week are all about Christmas.  Since I’ve already told you the answers to most of them in one form or fashion, I just selected a few for this week.

1How will you celebrate the holidays this year?

John and I will travel home Christmas Eve afternoon to spend it with my entire family.  Sometime Christmas Day, we’ll leave from there to head to Houston.  His parents are spending an extended amount of time there so we’re going to hang with them in for a few days.

2What’s the weather currently like where you live?

After two weeks of unseasonably warm weather, we woke up this morning to freezing temperatures and SNOW FLURRIES!  Of course, the snow didn’t stick, but I’ll take what I can get!

3Do you prefer color lights or white lights?

White lights on the tree, colored lights on the house

4What is your favorite food to eat over the holidays?

I’ve mentioned it briefly before, but my mom makes an amazing dessert that I look forward to all year.  Recipe to come before the holiday season is out!

5What would you need to make your holiday perfect this year?

Time.  Since moving away, I feel like the time I get to spend with family is so rushed because I have so many places to be.  I want to be able to relax and enjoy the moments.

What makes your holiday perfect?  All time favorite Christmas food?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

30 thoughts on “Some Things To Brag About

1. Carrie

Wow, sounds like a great weekend, Natalie! Your niece *does* look like John! And congrats to you dad–woohoo!

What–you have snow and flurries?! It’s close to 60 in NYC right now! My family is all about white lights–on the Christmas tree, on the garlands, on the house, you name it.

1. Natalie @ Free Range Human Post author

We did! Just briefly yesterday morning. It’s been really cold here for the last two days, but we’re suppose to go back into the ’60s towards the end of the week so it doesn’t look like the white stuff will be coming back any time soon :(

2. Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia

Good lord woman! That dessert looks fan-freakin-tastic! I’ll bet it tastes pretty darn good too?! As if they sold out of the popcorn you wanted?! Stuff like that happens to me too – I don’t like it :( Beautiful tree btw! Your man looks so proud posing beside it – I can only imagine what you were saying to him when you snapped that shot lol. And omg! Congrats to your super cool dad for his accomplishment! I love that you’re so proud! It snowed here too – makes everything look that much more beautiful – feels a little more like Christmas is in the air too :) yay!

1. Natalie @ Free Range Human Post author

I agree! I love snow during the Christmas season :) The pie is so good! John declared it his favorite dessert that I make so that’s definitely impressive! Thanks-I love my tree, but it’s beauty is mostly because of my mom!

3. Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale

I think your niece and John have the same nose and cheeks, and seeing as those are where your eyes first travel, voila — instant likeness. They’re both adorable. ;)
    And Nat — gorgeous!! :D
    Ps. Just googled “which are the 12 days of Christmas?” — I was curious and didn’t know. ;)

4. Jorie

So many thoughts to respond to! Haha. First, your husband is adorable! My dad was a fireman (but he retired) but I love hearing you chat about the firefighting antics and whatnot…it reminds me of home! (Just curious: what was the rookie hazing?) Second, hats off to your dad! I love when parents of grown children are still kicking butt and taking names. An inspiration to us all. Thirdly, that dessert looks like something out of a magazine. Fourthly, there is no worse feeling than getting to a store and discovering they are out of the only item you went in for! At least it means you have good taste, i.e. the item is popular. Silver lining? Nope. Not really. Still sucks! And this conclude my thoughts from your post :)

1. Jorie

* I meant to say that your husband is adorable in his dress uniform…not that he isn’t adorable otherwise. But don’t want to give the wrong impression!

2. Natalie @ Free Range Human Post author

:) Oh, the hazing! He had to get on top of the fire truck prepared to give a 20 minute speech about health and wellness. The rest of the firemen proceeded to heckle him and ask him stupid questions. Thankfully, he didn’t actually have to give the speech! The hazing concluded with John having to sing “Lay Me Down” by Conway Twitty because the fire guys had learned about an story from high school involving that song and John in drag ;)

I’m really proud of my dad! He rocked it and he’s already gearing up for another one in February. Thanks for the dessert compliment! I thought it turned out kind of pretty, and it tasted amazing! Yes, it does still suck that the popcorn wasn’t there! But since we’re going to get to stop at Whole Foods this weekend, all is not lost!

5. di @ life of di.

That’s so awesome that your dad ran that race :) Congrats (and props) to him!!

My favorite holiday food is my grandmother’s recipe for Christmas bread. It is a Polish recipe that her family used to make and, now that she has passed, my dad has started to make it :) The tradition continues!

1. Natalie @ Free Range Human Post author

I’ll pass that congrats on! I think it’s pretty awesome that he runs marathons-definitely not something I’m cut out for! Polish bread sounds pretty interesting. I’m always intrigued my ethnic foods, especially the ones I’m not familiar with!

6. savorlifesflavors

Your tree is gorgeous! Like something out of a movie. My family has never done a big Christmas meal. My favorite Christmas flavor is gingerbread. I have cookies, coffee, cakes, you name it! There is something about that smell that transforms me to Christmas day!

7. Change of Pace

Wow- your niece could pass for your child since she looks so much like John!
    A huge congratulations to your dad!! That’s awesome!
    I also like white lights on a tree and colour on a house! I think my all time fave Christmas food is my grandma’s perogies! I love them, but my thighs don’t!

8. aftertheivyleague

Wow seriously, your little niece is totally the spittin’ image of John! Isn’t it crazy how that works out? And yea Starbucks is a little outrageous price wise, I normally buy a medium but decided on a small the other day to “save money”. I probably saved about 20 cents. Whoop-dee-do haha

9. Pingback: Christmas Spirit « Free Range Human