It’s a whirlwind kind of day here in vacation prep central so let’s do some Thursday Thoughts, shall we?
1. As someone who truly loves TV, it makes me so happy that the last several years has given rise to the “summer season.” Remember in the olden days (<—insert granny wobbly voice here) when absolutely nothing came on, and those months between mid-May to end of September lasted forever? Not so now! We have wonderful things like Rookie Blue and Royal Pains to look forward to every week. Yes, it’s possible I’m way too into TV.
2. Speaking of TV, has anyone been watching the new show, The Astronaut Wive’s Club? I’m a sucker for period shows, and I love Joanna Garcia Swisher so I was really excited about. So far, it has not disappointed. The show is actually based on a book by Lily Koppel, and I was able to get it from Tace last weekend. I’m not too far into yet, but I’m looking forward to diving into during our trip.
3. Every year we try to take in at least one play of the Dallas Summer Musical season for Mom’s birthday, and last weekend Mom, Tace, John, Caite, and I took in the stage version of Dirty Dancing. I was so looking forward to this play because you all know how much I love the movie and Mr. Patrick Swayze, may he rest in peace. Unfortunately, we were all a little disappointed. The music was great and the dancing was really impressive, but the acting left a lot to be desired.
4. I’m not even sure I’ve mentioned it, but this trip is not exclusively backpacking. Dad and I managed to roll our July half-marathon into vacation so we’ll actually be running in Colorado Springs on July 4th. It should be a really cool way to kick off the trip!
5. As relaxing as backpacking is, the prep for it is not. I’ve been dehydrating food for two weeks, and my house has stuff everywhere! I can’t wait to get into the car Friday morning, and get to the easy part of vacation!
6. Originally, we were going to take Gus with us on this trip, but ultimately decided that this probably isn’t the best trip to start him out on. I’m really bummed despite knowing it’s the best decisions. Two whole weeks without both of my boys!
7. Speaking of my pups, I have a public service announcement. I’ve discussed before how sensitive Max is to loud noises, and that fireworks are just awful for him (and so, of course, us!). Unfortunately, this is a common problem with dogs. So many little pups go missing this time of year because they driven out of their safe, comfortable yards by the fear that they are under some kind of sneak attack. Please be sure to keep an extra eye on your babies this time of year, and put them up in a safe place if you’re heading away from the house.
8. Have you guys read this blog post by Colleen? If you haven’t, you should. If you don’t follow her, you should. I absolutely loved this post, and it’s just further illustrates to me that she is the writer I want to be!
9. Ok, I was on a roll, and now I’m suffering writer’s block so I’ll end here. I have a one or two posts ready to go up while I’m away, but be sure to follow me on Instagram to see all the beautiful sights over the next couple weeks. I think I post more on Instagram during our two-week vacations in the summer than I do the whole rest of the year combined. Have a very safe and Happy 4th!!